Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Poetic Inquiry

My Big Question:

There is a quote that I have always remembered. I forgot who its by, and I don't remember where I first heard it but it is -- "the problem is you think you have time" -- This is relevant to my "big question" because my Big Question is: WHY DOES TIME GO BY SO FAST? ...  I have always wondered why time goes by so fast when you are enjoying yourself (summer break, vacation, hanging out with friends) but goes by so slow when you are not enjoying yourself. Does your mind totally forget about the aspect of time while you are having fun or does it just forget about it because its unchangeable? Why is it so much more relevant in your thoughts while you are not enjoying yourself?

Sonnet Choice:

Sonnet 12 by William Shakespeare

When I do count the clock that tells the time,
And see the brave day sunk in hideous night;
When I behold the violet past prime,
And sable curls, all silver'd o'er with white;
When lofty trees I see barren of leaves,
Which erst from heat did canopy the herd,
And summer's green all girded up in sheaves,
Borne on the bier with white and bristly beard;
Then of thy beauty do I question make,
That thou among the wastes of time must go,
Since sweets and beauties do themselves forsake,
And die as fast as they see others grow;
And nothing 'gainst Time's scythe can make defence
Save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence.

Relation:
I choose this sonnet because it relates to my big question since they are both about time. My question was why does time go by so fast and in this sonnet it says : Then of thy beauty do I question make,
That thou among the wastes of time must go, which wonders the the same thing about the beauty of where time goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment